Tuesday, April 20, 2010

past blast.





Last Thursday I visited Christa Town's kindergarten class at Arbor Grove Elementary to talk about my scuba diving trip to the Great Barrier Reef.

Now, somehow I had it in my head that kindergartners would be able to converse knowingly with me about continents and tropical fish and the human inability to breathe underwater.
Here is what I now know about kindergartners:
they love you unconditionally before they know you.
they prefer pictures.
your high heels will send them over the edge.
if their hand is up, waving in the air and you don't immediately call on them - they will die.
they want candy.
they want candy now.
they will become insanely interested on the one thing you barely mentioned and don't know much about.
they like to hug.
they will call you Ms. Kate over and over.
it's nickname is The Great Barry.
Australia, Antarctica - who cares.
they have yet to notice the limitations of being underwater.

I also came away with so much more appreciation for my best friend Christa, not only because she can get an intimidating room full of tiny, tiny people to sit crisscross applesauce - but because she has to be so tolerant, colorblind, giving, patient, energetic and open to do a job that seems impossible.

I also saw the ever famous Edmond Memorial Follies, starring Casey Callahan!
In a sea of uncomfortably suggestive dance routines, duets, skits, bands, etc. I always find relief in the kids that transcend the high school auditorium. That so purely love to twirl or play the drums. They're not necessarily the best, but they're so free and happy it looks effortless and unassuming and original.

Saw The Runaways with Kori - really liked it.
And adding to my Follies observation, you could just tell Joan Jett would be the one in the band to make it - she literally loved the rock and roll more than all the other trappings that ate everyone else up.
Also, decided my teen years were way too tame.
Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!

And, I can't believe it's been 15 years. I was in 2nd grade, talk about events that shape our lives. Read this.