Friday, April 23, 2010

cheer up, trendy!




So, unfortunately I'm not able to capture stunning pictures of street styles. Only a blurry picture taken while walking back to the hotel one night. But look here for ideas:



So, I love my Aunt Barb. But there is an age disparity between us and I sometimes found myself craving youth while on our travels.
Cue Kate attempts to go out one night in Sydney on her own. Hahahahahaha. No really, I did.
Maybe it was at the bar right next to the hotel we were staying at. And maybe I only made friends with Texas students studying abroad. And maybe we talked a lot about American television. But still. For how intimidating Sydney nightlife is I was proud to say I ended my night around 2am dancing.


That was the night I decided I admired Australian girls and the way they embody their signature saying: Cheer up, trendy!
In other words, don't try so hard.
Don't wear a stitch of makeup. Put on a little dress, have long Aussie legs in killer heels and pile your long beach hair into a messy bun on top of your head. It should take you five minutes to get ready. Dance until dawn and drink any boy under the table. Walk home along the harbor.

Another quintessential Aussie characteristic: it doesn't take a whole lot to be happy.
Today I spread out on a bath towel upon the grass in our backyard to soak up some of the beautiful weather. I was in my swimsuit, breezing back and forth through the screen door for handfuls of strawberries or a popsicle. Just entirely content, all I need out of life is sunshine and a swimsuit.

...and a good book.
I finished, Diana Vreeland's autobiography, D.V., and it tickled me to death.
She was the iconic editor of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue and later a curator for the Met. The book left me in awe of how utterly out of touch she was with reality, poverty, war, politics, etc.
She lived so completely in a world of Chanel, Andy Warhol, royalty, french, pink and power and, thus, comes off as quite trivial and shallow - despite being such an edgy visionary with the best tastes.


Sydney is a Rogue Wave song. Their new album, I dig it.