Friday, April 23, 2010

lady gaga vs. beyonce.



I'm not writing this because I'm particularly passionate about the topic. I promise I'm not a Beyonce freak. Though I do totally love her.
It's just that after reading the following passage in a recent feature on Lady Gaga in New York Magazine, I became a little outraged.

"And what a happening. At a time when you wouldn’t recognize the faces of the people who make most of the music we listen to (who are those guys in Vampire Weekend, again?), Gaga is visually iconic; in an age of Twitter, the remoteness she has cultivated since her first moment in the spotlight has made her an even bigger star. She completely turns the page on the last decade’s era of bimbodom, taking back the limelight from women who made their careers by admitting that they had nothing to say, like Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson. She also closes a strange era in female pop stardom, with rising talents unable to push through to superstardom (Katy Perry, Rihanna),American Idol contestants (Kelly Clarkson), older stars (Gwen, Fergie), tween stars (Miley and posse), and hugely popular musicians who aren’t pop in their hearts, like Taylor Swift (country crossover) and BeyoncĂ© (urban crossover). She’s riveting in any language, with lyrics that compose their own Esperanto—she’s effortlessly global."

Yes, I think Lady Gaga is over-hyped and it would be nice to not have to hear Bad Romance 10+ times a day. But on the other hand, I'm sure her live show would be awesome to see.
This is not an attack on Gaga, merely the idea that she is the current queen of pop.
My anger is really focused on the fact that the article denies Beyonce - so obviously the biggest female pop star of this decade (see album sales, see the varied markets she reaches, see longevity) - #1 pop diva status because she's an "urban crossover." Which to me just screams: she's black, and therefore can't truly personify pop music. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but seriously - what the heck does "urban crossover" even mean and why is it a disqualifier?


p.s. Need more proof, Beyonce's Coachella cool factor: look here.