Thursday, August 19, 2010

What Is It About 20-Somethings.







Walker Robins and Daniel Miley's trip to Cuba. See more of Walker's pictures on Flickr.





a) Read What Is It About 20-Somethings. Freak out a little.

b) I've been reading Cupcakes and Cashmere for awhile now - I'm never that crazy about her style, but there's just something really inspiring about her life to me: to blog consistently, to work hard at a job you love, to come peacefully home and cook, explore and be creative. I would like that kind of balance in my life.

c) Bloom where you're planted. One of my favorite cliched pieces of advice.




So, what is it that I value?

Family. Though sure to prove impossible, I sort of don't want to live with the reality that my family couldn't gather around for homemade dinners on a weekly basis.
Love. Because I've never been happier. Especially getting introduced to the song Lola by The Kinks, the art of 5 second films, perusing Bolivia and Peru travel books while watching No Reservations and eating the world's best buttermilk pie.
My friendships. Which seem to get harder to keep up with over time, as every one travels down their own path. But eeps! I don't want to become like my parents, seemingly only having "adult friends." But I guess the most basic key to this is simply: make the time.
Reading. My bliss since forever.
Writing. I should value this more than I say I do.
Health. So important I often take it for granted. Eating right, sleep, YMCA, my Dad's health care plan that lets me stay on until I'm 26 thank goodness...
Style. I spend hours pouring over fashion magazines, I just love it.
Eating.
Travel.
...all of which sort of necessitate the reality of my earning a good salary.
Not building a life around things or money. But also not building a life around the fear of loans, not being able to pay for things, etc.
Career.
Ambition. I just don't want to forget that feeling of being absolutely 4th-grader convinced that I'd be president of the United States or the Editor of Vogue someday.
Running. Because running is the most basic thing on Earth to me, like coming alive, like a conversation with God.
Optimism.
Olive Oil.
Wine.
Exploring.
Freedom. The opposite of feeling trapped.
To be interesting. Rachel Weisz's character in About A Boy being the perfect example and the only way I can think of to describe this quality, she was just so captivating because she was so invested in life, challenged by her job, constantly learning, etc.
My beliefs. Which to be perfectly honest have always focused more on the progressive politics side of things than a religious conviction. But regardless, to strive to be a better person and to better the world in every single thing I do. And if I'm in an environment where I'm not being challenged/inspired to do this, get out.
Gratitude.