Sunday, February 8, 2009

Art, Life.


The moment I saw Van Gogh's Bedroom in Arles on a projector slide in an Art History class my freshmen year - it's been my favorite work of art. I just sort of fell in love with the tilt of the wall, the tint of the floor and the domestic scene paired with Van Gogh's signature, psychological brushstrokes.
This past summer I got to see it in person when an Impressionism exhibit came to the Fort Worth Museum of Art.
And I don't think you can top that, seeing a work of art you really just love for no academic reason up close and in person.

One time in London's Tate Modern, Meg and I sat in a dimly-lit room full of Rothko paintings and I swear feelings pulsed out of the canvases.

And this summer, Caravaggio's frescoes in Rome's Contarelli Chapel of San Luigi dei Francesi Church reawakened my dormant spirituality.




I've been brought up in a family that surrounded and encouraged me with art, making it alive - from my Grandmother's 100-pound coffee table book filled with gorgeous, gold Klimt to my mom's Frank Lloyd Wright architectural roadtrips and elementary school art lessons.
So I guess I've been raised to believe experiencing art is important and impactful.




And I just watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona (highly recommend it) and it's inspired my new life goal: see Gaudi's spectacularly surreal Sagrada Famalia Church in person. 

Keep dreaming.