Tuesday, October 19, 2010

fame game.





I watched the Adrien Grenier documentary Teenage Paparazzo and came away from it feeling pretty sick to my stomach. I highly recommend, it's compelling stuff.

I would consider myself pretty detached from celebrity (speaking of celebrity, here's an enjoyable slideshow of the most gawdy awful Ed Hardy products), but it did make me question my blog, iPhones as appendages and texting as breathing, and the nature of my facebooking - a practice in unapologetic narcissism, not to mention all the need for attention/subtle bragging facebook status updates represent. That whole if a tree falls in a forest and no one heard it fall, did it really fall dynamic.
Not that I want to come off as a total killjoy, I don't plan on pulling back from anything. I appreciate the need to express oneself, to stay connected, to get to know someone better, to share information, updates, observations, celebrations and links.
Really I'm just trying to keep in mind that real life is so much more important. Not what you're doing or who you know or how you look or what you're listening to or what you're reading or where you're going or how you compare, but just a quiet who you are. Keep some perspective.


Peace comes from within. Do not seek it from without.
(Buddha).