Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer in the City.



So my roommate Hanna and I ventured out to the farmer's market in Eastern Market on Saturday morning and it was just about the best thing ever: sunflower bouquets, piles of peaches, sliced cucumber, homemade salsa, hommus, blueberry pancakes, melon, fresh squeezed lemonade, cheese, chocolate banana nut bread, huge blackberries...
Hanna took amazing pictures to document the trip, so soon I hope I can go into more detail about why I've decided to buy only from farmer's markets from now on.
...I'm loving this city more and more.

Also this weekend:

Dive bars.

National Museum of the American Indian.
Maybe it's growing up in Oklahoma with the curriculum of the Oklahoma school system, but I've always been completely and utterly disinterested in Native American history. Like, bore me to death bad.
But this museum was incredible: the architecture is stunning, the value system hits home, there was an exhibit on reservation skateboarding (which pulled on my love for California skateboard culture, Lords of Dogtown and the Z-Boys) and the cafeteria is insanely good, featuring amazing, unique food from all the different tribal regions.

National Portrait Gallery.

National Gallery of Art.

Smithsonian American Art Museum.

(...Okay, so I like art).

King Street.
In Virginia. We walked down to the water and had the best ice cream ever.






Wait, Robert McNamara died!? Watch The Fog of War. Seriously haunting stuff.

My parents are back from Greece. Jealous.
Meg is taking art classes at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass, CO for a month. Just a little background as to why Meg is amazing: we were lucky enough to grow up in Snowmass and we'd always take hikes over to beautiful Anderson Ranch and "oooh and aaah" about how cool it would be to go there someday. And then she goes and wins a fellowship there.
But most impressive: Casey survived a week on her own with our grandparents!

Jay-Z's Death of Autotune is exactly why I never tamper with the ring on my cellphone.
And Common's What a World is for BAMF moments walking down city streets.

I finally finished John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces.

"Claude is dumb. Okay. I'll grant you that. Claude is all the time worrying me about them communiss. Okay. Maybe he don't know nothing about politics. But I ain't worried about politics. I'm worried about dying halfway decent. Claude can be kind to a person, and that's more than you can do with all your politics and all your graduating smart. For everything nice I ever done for you, I just get kicked around. I want to be treated nice by somebody before I die. You learnt everything, Ignatius, except how to be a human being."

Probably the best, most creative capacity for writing and wordplay I've ever experienced.
But while every write-up praises its comedy, I found it really depressing and therefore hard to get through. But I always found Don Quixote to be extremely depressing too, so I guess it's fitting.
Though the end was totally worth it.

I get to work with this girl. Cool beyond belief.
She posted the lyrics to Animal Collective's Summertime Clothes and right now, I feel like nothing could describe my life more perfectly: that East Coast lack of summer air conditioning forces you to fall into restless sleep on top of your sheets when you've got so much on your mind.



and i want to walk around with you
it doesn't really matter i'll go where you feel
hunt for the breeze, get a midnight meal