Sunday, July 5, 2009

"I was 32 when I started cooking, up until then I just ate."



So on the plane ride to DC I read Julia Child's "My Life in France."

Though her kitchen pioneering hay days were before my time, I became so spellbound and attached: her fearlessness, her beautiful marriage to Paul Child and the amazing adventures they embarked on together for both of their careers, the way she embraced life and didn't sweat the small stuff, her love of learning...

Well, today I went to the Museum of American History which boasts such iconic Americana items like the red slippers worn by Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz, Lincoln's sobering black top hat, an Alabama sit-in counter, etc.
...but my personal favorite was Julia's Kitchen (!!!!!!), fully intact and on display for all to peek inside. 



I distinctly remember falling in love with food and cooking sophomore year, when I lived in an apartment with Kelly. We'd both come home from class and watch Giada; and honestly my life's never been the same. 
Because whether it's Giada or Julia or Anthony Bourdain or Mario Batali, they're striking at the best and purest parts of life: travel, culture, family, friends, simplicity, time, patience, persistence, catharsis, quality...


Anyway, it felt like my Julia Child phase has come full circle.


And now this: