Saturday, September 10, 2011

pumped up kicks.




Walker, William and Brian in Waynoka - many more on flicka.



My Friday:
- Decide that stocking my backpack with licorice and pistachios are as essential to law school as highlighters.
- Head to my section mixer - arriving solo and fashionably late, of course. Dear God I find these things excruciating. But I want friends. I want to be moderately involved. I want to care. So I force myself to go. The first 15 or so minutes are always terrible, the internal panic about where to sit/prop myself up against and who to start a conversation with - somebody get me a drink stat! We all only know each other's last names instead of firsts.
But by the end of the mixer we've all gotten to know each other a little bit better, establishing the inevitable camaraderie that comes with sharing the experience of fielding impossible-to-anticipate questions at random. But then people start making plans to head to the next bar and my extreme indecisiveness hits. In my head the schedule of events stopped promptly at 7. It's been a long day and all I want to do is head back to the city and hang out with my boyfriend. But was all the energy I expended obsessing about this thing for naught - does the real bonding happen afterwards? Am I lame? Boring? Old? Actually not at all that interested in expanding my world - my life is fine as is, thank you very much?
- Call Paige in the parking lot for reassurance.
- Decide on the drive home that the feelings of guilt, indecisiveness, and missing out are completely silly. To be replaced with balance, perspective, and prioritizing.
- Walker and I pick-up a pizza and scarf it while somehow getting sucked into a September 11th television special - Walker attempts to do homework while I cry over families and firefighters in his arms. It turns out to be exactly the night I wanted.



p.s.
I WANT TO TAKE A BATH IN THIS WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I made really good whiskey sours from scratch for a little birthday party at our house last weekend - the pride this gave me is still palpable.
Biking around the city, I found my MeMe's old house. Homemade ice cream and eggs on toast and dial-up telephones and California-shaped notepads and backyard lawn chairs flooded me with nostalgia. Our life together before the nursing home - it hit me like a ton of bricks.
True Blood is soooooo good.
So are ice cubes in red wine.

New Day, Jay-Z and Kanye.
Pumped Up Kicks, Foster the People. I love that this has become a nonstop radio fixture as it reminds me of California and Jenna's wedding, i.e. happy thoughts.
Blood, The Middle East.
Butterfly, CrazyTown - ohhhhhhh yes.

p.p.s.
Oklahoma football.
This video makes my heart swell.
I really love the Thunder and have developed feelings for the Titans, but nothing feels as ingrained into your skin as the team your dad taught you to love (truesooner1 = Kelley Callahan's new email address).