Monday, May 3, 2010

no such thing.




This is the perfect purse.
(Celine's classic box bag).



Lately, I've been wondering why everyone buys into this concept of a real world, where you don't get Spring Break, worry about money all the time, power playing, hate the work week schedule and are crushed by paperwork concerning loans, mortgages, taxes, etc.
No really, it confounds me. Everybody hates it, yet everyone buys into it.
I totally believe in American productivity, but there's got to be a more innovative way of conceptualizing this idea of the real world.
I'm currently trying to figure this out for myself. Answer the question: What would it take for me to love a job?
What I'm working on so far: daily motivation, energy to continue cultivating a life outside of work, zero commute.

I am trying to be a better person in regards to the little things I always feel guilty about:
Completely stopping at the stop signs in my neighborhood. I am so going to run over an adorable little street rat.
Putting my parking brake on.
Texting while driving. It's so tempting, but it really is one of those things that's going to get me killed eventually.
And mainly: wiping down gym equipment after use. Gawwwwd I hate doing this, I am like the least germ-a-phobic person on the planet. I seriously don't care at all. It's just that I know everyone else does.

And the big things:
So Walker defends his thesis Tuesday! If you're interested in Southern Baptist missions to the Jews and a dynamic womanizer named Jacob Gartenhaus you'll soon be in luck. Also, please note the impeccable proof reading.
But on top of all this, when our Sunday evening turned into an impromptu sandwich and sleeping bag handout I marveled at Walker's ability to give without even thinking twice.
Whereas, I'm not so naturally giving (what's in it for me) - he's made me a believer in the idea that the more you give, the more you get. There's almost a type of freedom and safety in this kind of proof that everything always works out for you when you forget yourself.







I love:
The City. Really, really. I could so care less about The Hills, but Whitney Port is my style icon.
The combination of Common & Lilly Allen on Driven' Me Wild.
Treme. Watch it, visually and culturally stunning.
Leftover pad thai for lunch. That perfect cold, greasy noodle combination.
Getting to see the Thunder play Game 6 with a crowd's cheering that only increased after the loss. What a great season for Oklahoma City. These playoffs have been incredibly special to me.
The sticky rice topped with fresh mango at Lemon Grass.
Angela Kelley's thoughtful insight on immigration. When I was working at CAP I saw her speak, she was so amazing and dynamic and smart and clear.

I don't love:
Oil spills. The picture of a dead sea turtle sealed the deal for me. This sucks.