Saturday, October 8, 2011

this art of swimming.


Currently reading Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen.
(While it rains and I bask in the glory of beating Texas).
And I've already determined it's the most beautiful book I've ever read.

...in a moment of extreme tension, I have met the eyes of my Native companions, and have felt that we were at a great distance from one another, and that they were wondering at my apprehension of our risk. It made me reflect that perhaps they were, in life itself, within their own element, such as we can never be, like fishes in deep water which for the life of them cannot understand our fear of drowning. This assurance, this art of swimming, they had, I thought, because they had preserved a knowledge that was lost to us by our first parents; Africa, amongst the continents, will teach it to you: that God and the Devil are one, the majesty co-eternal, not two created but one uncreated, and the Natives neither confounded the persons nor divided the substance.