Wednesday, May 18, 2011

weekend at bernie's.

eat: crisp green bell peppers. cinnamon sugar donuts. on a homemade nacho kick. prairie thunder granola topped with bananas. panera bread tomato soup, so good in its general boring-ness. lido hot and sour soup. bon appetit magazine. coffee. walker bacon.

eishen's: fried chicken, fried okra and a pitcher of watery beer perfection. the fried okra, the fried okra, the fried okra. the drive out there, perfect Oklahoma night.

hilarious: bridesmaids. weekend at bernie's.

finished: easter parade by richard yates. really good - maybe my favorite in recent memory.

starting: a visit from the goon squad by jennifer egan. pulitzer prize winna, can't go wrong.

longing for: swimming pools. israeli caves where they make goat cheese - yes, i want so badly to come with.

food for thought: editing a story for the mag about urban chicken farmers and the mom of this adorable family emails me some information for her bio, snippets of which i just had to share because they are so genius and i would like to make them more directly applicable to my life in some fashion:

We live in the heart of Oklahoma City!! On an acre and a half in an old house built in 1940. We love older homes and room to run!

Well, my life is my husband and our four daughters. We all love to spend time outdoors, being together and doing things that are not of the ordinary, such as raising 10 chickens. And as long as we're talking about animals ( and not being ordinary) . . . I have let my girls have some pretty interesting pets. My oldest daughter has a pet Ball Python (that's a snake) and she has two pet rats. All of these are kept in aquariums and are cleaned once a week! That was my only stipulation; as long as I didn't have to do anything with the pets and I couldn't smell anything they could have them. My second oldest has a pet rat and the two youngest have a Beta fish each. We also have 3 cats and a Brittany Spaniel named Clyde. We also just received a Holland Lop Bunny as a gift.
To me if they would rather spend time caring for animals and being outside than spending it on Facebook or texting or watching T.V., then that's o.k. with me.

O.K. My husband just read what I wrote and he about freaked and said we sound like animal hoarders so he wants me to tell you not to print any of that. Maybe you could just condense it so we don't sound crazy?