Monday, October 1, 2012

mejico!










Pictures from San Miguel de Allende on Sea of Shoes reminded me...

This summer I got to make up for all the MTV Spring Break trips I never had by getting to tag along on my super wonderful housemate Colby's family's yearly trip to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun, Mexico. (Thank you times a million!)

Peru cemented my love for heading south.
But I'd never been to Mexico before, and I left feeling as if I’d just begun a love affair.
In fact, I made a little list of all the things I loved about it (and I do realize my perspective is framed upon a stay at a resort on the beach, but I think that's half the fun of it!):

- The romance of names like Belize, Cozumel, Tulum, etc. 
- People watching. Especially the Europeans. Especially the scandalous swimsuits.
- The soaking in of a Mojito at the end of the day on a yellow deck chair.
- The salty ocean ice cream cones in perfect flavors: strawberry, coconut, and chocolate chip.
- Breakfast being the best meal: the juice bar complete with the pulp of watermelon and frothy green of cactus, also contemplating the life of the expert omelet makers and their perfect pan flips.
- The morning run outside the resort: remembering the existence of another world so aesthetically pleasing: blue tile, crawling trellises of flowers, palm fronds, colored stucco.
- Being constantly called "Amiga."
- The bawdy Top 40 American music playing ad nauseam.
- Soda water.
- Mentos.
- Sand in everything.
- The turquoise of the ocean giving way to sapphire blue as it changes in depth. Neon reef fish washed up on shore.
- Monkeys so crazy: swinging from branch to branch exactly as they are depicted in cartoons.
- And never underestimating the power of a light beach read.