Friday, November 28, 2008

Twilight.



I read library books as fast as I could go, rushing them home in the basket of my bicycle.
From the minute I reached our house, I started to read. Every book I seized on, from "Bunny Brown and His Sister Sue at Camp Rest-a-While" to "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea," stood for the devouring wish to read being instantly granted.
I knew this was bliss, knew it at the time. Taste isn't nearly so important; it comes in its own time.
- Eudora Welty.








I resisted reading the Twilight series for sooooo long.
Because I was basically being a snob.
And while I still think it's important to note that Stephanie Meyer is clearly a very talented preteen girl author...


I loved every minute of reading Twilight.


Because, especially in regards to burnt-out college students, preteen girls have it right...


The best part about reading is bedside lamps and being snuggled warmly into your bed with the pillows smooshed just right, unable to keep from turning the page while stuffing Oreos into your brace laced mouth. And you giggle about the book's moments afterward with your friends, not discussing the profound religious symbolism, but giggling and squealing and wide-eyed and smiling ear to ear.

And you believe that love can really, truly be that pure and singular and universe shaking.
And there is not a doubt in your mind, this type of love will eventually and inevitably happen to you. When you're older...like, in college or something.